Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Focusing and Foregrounding and Their Impediments

Some days I think a mouse would be a much better tool if only it had a button on it dedicated to obtaining focus.
On other days I realise what a colossal waste that would be.
Until that mouse button comes along I'll just have to continue clicking on a window like a monkey in order to obtain focus for scrolling.

What's that, you say?  Why don't I just use an app that lets me scroll whatever window is currently under the cursor?  Because sometimes I want to bring the window to the foreground so I can see the entire area.
And yet I don't want any window that happens to be under the cursor to always be brought to the fore as I wave the mouse around the desktop with abandon.

The problem with clicking to obtain focus, in case you were wondering, is that clicking initiates an action: namely, the click.  Upon, say, plain text in a webpage it's quite benign, which is what encourages the action to be initiated again in the future.  Unfortunately sometimes you end up clicking upon something that is actionable, such as a link on a webpage or a directory in a file explorer and it's these situations that irk me enough to bring to mind the fact that I want to click only to obtain focus and/or bring the window to the foreground and not to perform some action.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm doing it all wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment