Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Searching For Manny Macx


Having recently read the Singularity-based novel Accelerando by Charles Stross, it got me thinking about a present-day Manny Macx.  Is there someone, or some people, who fit the bill?

I've since heard it said that he was loosely based on two people:
* Steve Mann, the life-recorder and wearable computer fanatic, and
* Max More, philosopher and futurist.

Makes sense, given the names.

I hadn't heard of More, and Mann didn't come to mind during the reading.  In Mann's place I saw Kevin Warwick, who's also into the whole cybernetics thing.  However, I was also thinking of Macx as someone who's highly connected and running on the front edge of research rather than someone specifically envisioning a posthuman future.  Scobleizer was the closest I came up with in that regard.

But these four are not really what I'm after.  One quality that's not captured in the above is youth.  Scoble is probably the youngest of the four and he's on the approach to 50.

So the perfect match would be someone in their twenties, highly connected, cyborged and riding the wave that is the impending Singularity.
And who preferably blogs, so I can follow them :)

No comments:

Post a Comment